All-Purpose Peat-Free Compost™
A general-purpose peat-free growing medium suitable for a wide range of uses around the garden including potting on, patio gardening, container growing and tree and shrub planting.
Wondering how to buy?
Take a look at this product’s pdf
• Contains balanced slow-release fertilizers
• Manufactured from top quality conifer bark and wood fibre, coir and green compost
• Dark brown in colour
• Consistent, fine and free flowing
• RHS endorsed (when sold in 50 litre bags)
• Easy to handle and manage
• Manufactured from sustainable raw materials and containing no peat
• Balanced plant nutrients give optimum fertilization for the first four to six weeks
Available in 50 litre bags, bulk bags, maxi-bales and loose bulk
Seed sowing Use as directed on the seed packet. Please note that due to the relatively coarse structure of All-Purpose Peat-Free Compost it may be necessary to sieve or to mix with a finer ingredient such as horticultural sand or fine coir. A rate of 50 / 50 would be suitable.
When the seedlings are large enough to handle prick out into fresh All-Purpose Peat-Free Compost and water thoroughly
Potting On Ensure that the plant to be potted is thoroughly watered. Choose a pot or container slightly larger than the previous one and fill with All-Purpose Peat-Free Compost
Prepare a hole in the Compost that is large enough to accommodate the item to be potted. Carefully insert the plant so that the Compost is level with the previous compost level. Firm the Compost around the plant and water thoroughly.
Supplementary Feeding Under normal circumstances All-Purpose Peat-Free Compost contains sufficient nutrients for the first 4 to 6 weeks of growth. After then commence feeding regularly with a liquid feed. Alternatively mix in controlled release fertilizer granules at the time of potting.
Tree and Shrub Planting Ensure that the root ball of the tree or shrub is very well watered. Dig a hole at least twice the size of the rootball. Blend the back fill at a rate of between 3 and 5 parts soil to 1 part All-Purpose Peat-Free Compost. Place the plant in the hole ensuring that when finished the soil will be at the same level on the trunk it was when the plant was in its container. If a stake is required put it in place at this stage. Use the backfill / Compost mix to fill around the root ball. Firm the soil around the trunk. Water well for at least the first season. For optimum growth top dress annually with a balanced fertilizer after the first year.
* All values given in the Specifications table are typical. However, some variation may occur from time to time. Melcourt Industries Ltd reserves the right to alter the specification without notice, for the purpose of product improvement.