Playchips® – Softwood
A processed and selectively screened wood chip loose impact absorbing surface (LIAS), suitable for play areas, particularly those where high movement and ground falls are likely, or large areas between individual play spaces and other non-moving structures. Softwood Playchips are from FSC Mix Sources at a minimum of 70%.
- A specially processed and screened conifer chip
- Nominal particle size 5–40mm
- Dust and fines have been removed and the product contains 80% plus wood
- Tested in accordance with BS EN 1176 and 1177
- Fire tested in accordance with BS 4790:1987
- RHS endorsed (when sold in 60 litre bags)
- Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified
- Lay at depths of 300mm, 200mm and 100mm giving protection at critical fall heights of >3.5metres, >3.5 metres and 1.4 metres respectively
- Independently tested in accordance with the requirements of BS EN 1177:2008, at depths of 300mm, 200mm and 100mm giving critical fall heights of >3.5metres, >3.5 metres and 1.4 metres respectively
- Rapid drainage during wet weather allows play all year round
- Easy to install and maintain
- Virtually vandal resistant
- Any overspill onto adjacent grassed areas will not damage mowing equipment
- The loose, particulate feel of Melcourt Playchipseters dogs and cats, thus helping to prevent animal fouling
- Hostile living environment for pests
- Extremely cost-effective
- Easy to relocate
- At the end of its useful life as a play surface, Melcourt Playchips® can be effectively re-used as a mulch or soil conditioner
This product is from FSC MIX Sources at a minimum of 70%, FSC certificate number CU-COC-806457
To comply with BS EN 1176, the LIAS used must be installed to a layer thickness of 100mm more than that found by laboratory testing to be necessary to achieve the required critical fall height. The following table gives a guide to the area in square metres, covered by one cubic metre, when evenly laid at the given depths:
LIAS depth required (mm) 300 200 100.
Square metres covered by 1m3 of LIAS 3.3 5.0 10.0.
A suitable allowance for settlement should be made, as stated in the Technical Specification table below.
Product settlement percentages are provided for your guidance only. If the product settles more than the minimum figure stated, it is the customer’s responsibility to order sufficient additional material, to give the required finished depth.