Orchid Bark™ Coarse
A chunky, fine-free pine bark, designed for use in orchid composts where it provides extremely free drainage and long-term structural stability.
Produced from top quality pine bark
• Hard, bark chip particles predominantly between 15 and 35mm
• pH between 5.0 and 5.5
• Negligible available nutrient content
• Rich mid-brown in colour
• Entirely pest, disease and weed free
• Toxin free
• Approved by the Soil Association
• Certified by the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®).
• The natural durability and stability of pine make it an ideal bark for use in orchid composts
• Provides the compost with long-lasting structural strength
• Provides high and resilient air-filled porosity
• Prevents water logging in the lower layers of the pot
• Promotes vigorous healthy root growth
• Suitable for a wide range of orchids where free draining composts are required, eg Cattleyas, Cymbidiums, Dendrobiums and Paphiopedilums.
• Not suitable for the raising of orchids from seed, where Melcourt Propagating Bark should be used
This product is from FSC MIX Sources at a minimum of 70%, FSC certificate number CU-COC-806457
Available in 60 litre bags
• Orchid Bark Coarse may be combined with a range of other materials to provide orchid composts with the desired degree of porosity.
• A typical mix would be 5 parts Orchid Bark Coarse to 1 part crushed charcoal to 2 parts medium perlite, but other ingredients such as coarse grit and fibrous coir can equally successfully be incorporated. Lime should be added to raise the pH, typically at 2.5kg/m3, but the exact requirement will depend on the other ingredients in the mix.
Please contact Melcourt for more details.
For a smaller chip use Orchid Bark Medium.
* All values given in the Specifications table are typical. However, some variation may occur from time to time. Melcourt Industries Ltd reserves the right to alter the specification without notice, for the purpose of product improvement.