A processed and selectively screened hardwood chip loose impact absorbing surface (LIAS), suitable for play areas, particularly those where high movement and ground falls are likely, such as trim tracks, or large areas between individual play spaces, play centres, under play frames, space nets and other non-moving structures.
• Nominal particle size range 5 – 40mm
• Light brown in colour
• Clean and virtually free from dust and fines
• Free-draining allowing safe play throughout the year
• Produced from sustainably harvested British forests
• Compliance to BS EN 1176 Table A.1, confirms that Playchips® meet a nationally accepted industry standard
• High resistance to fire confirmed by testing in accordance with BS 4790:1987
• Good durability of 2 – 4 years plus
• RHS endorsed (when sold in 60 litre bags)
• Independently tested in accordance with the requirements of BS EN 1177:2008, at depths of 300mm, 200mm and 100mm giving critical fall heights of >3.5metres, >3.5 metres and 1.4 metres respectively
• Rapid drainage during wet weather allows play all year round
• Easy to install and maintain
• Virtually vandal resistant
• Any overspill onto adjacent grassed areas will not damage mowing equipment
• The loose, particulate feel of Melcourt Playchips® deters dogs and cats, thus helping to prevent animal fouling
• Hostile living environment for pests
• Extremely cost-effective
• Easy to relocate
• At the end of its useful life as a play surface, Melcourt Playchips can be effectively re-used as a mulch or soil conditioner
Available in 60 litre bags, bulk bags and in loose bulk
Design, Installation and Aftercare
Melcourt offers extensive advice on design, installation and aftercare using products from our Play Range, together with up to date information on many contractual and standards issues regarding play areas.
To comply with BS EN 1176, the LIAS used must be installed to a layer thickness of 100mm more than that found by laboratory testing to be necessary to achieve the required critical fall height.
* All values given in the Specifications table are typical. However, some variation may occur from time to time. Melcourt Industries Ltd reserves the right to alter the specification without notice, for the purpose of product improvement.